Thursday, March 22, 2012

Baiyok Thai Cuisine

It was a Thursday night; Chopstick 1&2, Little Spoon and I were looking for a place to eat. We were in a certain part of Portland that we don't normally frequent... somewhere over by Mt. Tabor park, and we were hungry.  A little birdie once told me about a Thai restaurant in this area that didn't look so appealing from the outside. But then the Birdie said... oh who the hell am I kidding; I'll stop being ridiculous now. There are no talking birds, as much as I wish there was, it was a person that told me about this place.

Baiyok is what it was called, and to be honest it looked like shit from the outside. By the looks of the establishment, if I hadn't heard good things I wouldn't eat there. The horrendous pink exterior and raggedy old sign board gives a "if you eat here, you'll be sorry" feel.

We cautiously entered and were delightfully surprised by the decor on the inside. Nice new hardwood floors, new china and nice table settings were the last thing we expected to see. It was like the door was a teleport to a decent looking Thai place.

All four of us were in the noodle mood and it proved to be a good choice. Both Chopsticks decided to get the Pad-Ke-Mao, and turns out they don't like their food with any kick at all. Little Spoon ordered the Pad-Thai extremely spicy and I ordered the Pad-Se-Ew medium-spice.

Anyways, I don't want to draw this post out too long. It was an interesting little Thai spot that served some good food. Well we only had the noodle dishes so I can't say food. If the curries and stir-fries are as good as the noodle dishes, then you'll like what you get. Not too expensive and no wait either; the nice thing about choosing a unattractive location. Give it a shot!

Moral of the story: don't judge a book by its cover.

- Tony

P.S. Sorry for the lack of pictures... we were hungry :)


1 comment: