Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Byways Cafe

Last Sunday we were looking for a great breakfast spot to go to after our New Year's Eve festivities. The last place that we thought we should try was Byways Cafe on the corner of NW 12th and Glisan in the Pearl. Not because it doesn't have great food (which it does but I'll get to that in a second), but because every other time we've tried to eat there the line has been quite lengthy. You're lucky if you only have to wait 20-30 minutes for a table on a Saturday or Sunday morning. That Sunday we waited 5 minutes before we were seated. Maybe it had to do with the fact that we showed up at 1PM. Nonetheless, we got a table and quickly; that's a Win in my book.
Plates gathered by owners and patrons used as decoration.
From the outside, Byways wouldn't look like much if it didn't have such captivating signage. I don't think many people would even know it existed, but as a true Portlander you already know about this gem from your own "Morning After" experience or when it was highlighted on Guy Fieri's "Diners, Drive-ins & Dives." Small and quaint inside, but what the cafe lacks in space and decor, the food will absolutely make up for.
If you're lucky you could have your coffee in a bunny mug.
The menu is also on the conservative side when it comes to the number of dishes. They don't have too many options but the ones they do have are done right. Some of their well known favorites include Blue-corn Pancakes with Pecan Butter, Amaretto French Toast, along with numerous scrambles and hashes. I had the Happy Camper Scramble - smoked ham, tomatoes, onions, cheese with a side of country potatoes. I added avocado to mine because I'm an avocado whore. I'm sure you would have enjoyed a picture of what I ordered, but I don't have one; as soon as I got my plate I began eating unconsciously. Before I realized that I needed to take a pic, my breakfast was devoured. Honestly, I don't think I can promise that this wont happen again; it very well could. From now on I will I try my best to capture a shot before I dig in.

All in all, this is just a great place to grab breakfast in Portland. Although you may have to wait a few minutes, its well worth it. Enjoy!

-Tony  

No comments:

Post a Comment