Sunday, January 8, 2012

Got Pho?

A few years ago, my sister and I were coming home after a family vacation. Hungry after a long flight, we determined that we wanted some Pho. If you don't know what Pho is, it's a Vietnamese soup containing thin rice noodles and a broth of some sort, normally derived from beef. It is also accompanied by chili & plum sauces as well as a plate with lime, bean sprouts, jalapeno slices and basil to flavor the broth to you liking. It was a Sunday night and we wanted to find a place that was conveniently on our drive home. Got Pho? off of SE Sandy Boulevard was one of the first to come up on my phone. It met all of the criteria so we went...

We entered the restaurant at around 9PM and were greeted by the Owner. His name is Dinh (pronounced Din), an immigrant from Vietnam searching for the "American Dream." If there was one thing that Dinh knew how to do, it was Pho. We ordered the Beef Pho with brisket & steak and it was really good, but that's not what I wanted to tell you about...

I've had a lot of Pho in my day, it happens to be one of my favorite types of food. I decided to try the Chicken Pho the next time I went. I asked Dinh if it was any good and he replied, "You don't like it, you don't pay!" I guess I didn't have anything to lose. I tried it and I was astonished. It had the comfort that chicken soup has but with a Vietnamese flare. I always add the lime and chili sauce to my Pho, helps clear the sinuses. I also found out that Dinh prefers the Chicken Pho too! He adds a little chili sauce, lime, and a lot of basil.
This is what my Pho looks like after I add my favorite condiments. It comes clear but turns red from the chili sauce.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that Got Pho? is my absolute favorite Pho place. I've been to my share of Pho restaurants in Portland and I always find myself coming back to see Dinh. I also have NOT ordered the Beef Pho since I've tried the chicken variety. It's so good that I find myself there at least once a week; it's just way too good and I can always justify paying $7.75 for an enormous bowl of delicious soup. Go there and give it a try, you wont be disappointed. Enjoy!
This is what my Pho looks like every time I ask for the check.
- Tony



No comments:

Post a Comment